Tuesday, February 5, 2008

food for thought

my husband and i have really been discussing going green...really green...in our house and lives. most of you know that my husband's truck blew the radiator and it's been sitting since before christmas. leaving me without a vehicle as he has been taking the van to work. so i have had to walk everywhere i want to go...and yes it's cold..but seriously?? it hasn't been that bad...i have enjoyed it...and it took me longer to drive the kids to school than it does to walk, i know...crazy!! so we have put off fixing the truck.


we have made other changes too...we set up a recycling station in our house and everything...absolutely everything possible gets recycled!! and let me tell you how much that has changed what we put out once a week for actual garbage!!! we went from about 2 to 2.5 green garbage bags to not even filling one!!! and we haven't even started composting yet!!!! we are going to set up a compost system in the next couple of weeks to cut down on waste even more!! we have also started paying attention to what we are buying at the grocery store and staying local and making sure that the packaging they come in is recyclable.


so in keeping with this...i decided that i was going to go back to homemade food. over the last few years i got caught up in the quick and easy and convenient and have slowly replaced that with all the homemade cooking and baking i used to do. i also realized how much i missed it and how good the food really was!!! so i am back to making my bread....so yummy...and no, i don't use a bread maker...all by hand!!! we also made a change in that we got rid of our microwave...i never felt comfortable with them anyway...and we only used it for reheating and popcorn...but hey...reheating in the oven or stove is just as easy and we found out that you can't recycle the microwave popcorn bags, so...buh-bye microwave!! besides, have you ever had popcorn popped the old fashioned way??? and no i don't mean with an air popper!!


when jay and i first got together we were so poor we couldn't afford an air popper, so jay says...hey we can pop popcorn in a big pot with oil and a lid!! i was like what??? no kidding?? so that is exactly what he did and it was sooooooooooooooo yummy!! so we are on the hunt now for a really good old fashioned popcorn maker!!


in the spring we are planting a garden...i am no green thumb...my mom is so disappointed in me, lol!!! but i remember the vegetable garden we had growing up and i have also missed being able to go out and pick fresh veggies for snacks and supper. jay, however, does have a green thumb...so between the two of us we should be able to make it work!!


we cut out the artificial...stopped buying margarine, artificial vanilla, processed cheese, etc. wow...what a difference in the way cookies taste when cooking with butter and real vanilla extract...yummy!! yes it's a bit more expensive to buy things that aren't artificial...but it goes farther, therefore, balancing out the cost.


so inspired by ronda...i decided to venture into making homemade pasta...well i don't have a pasta machine so i had to buy my pasta, but i bought the fresh pasta. i made cannelloni, so i bought the pasta sheets, soaked them so they would roll, cut them in half, and filled them. the filling i made and was a 3 cheese filling (was supposed to have spinach in it, but i forgot to buy some, lol!!). i served it with a homemade alfredo sauce...dude...alfredo sauce from scratch?? so easy and so yummy!!!! ceasar salad and french crusty bread...and my kids ever ate every last lick!!!!


Cannelloni


Cannelloni3


Cannelloni5


Cannelloni_supper2 this has been a really good thing for the family...the kids have really gotten into our going green program!! we have plans going more green...but seriously...if i told you now, you probably think i had completely lost my mind!!! let's just say we have big plans for the future and our lives will be going in a totally different direction 4 years from now!!! but i will share information with you as we get more involved with those plans!!


have a fabulous day ladies


ciao!!

19 comments:

  1. That pasta looks out of this world! And I have my first bread I've ever made from scratch in the oven right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commend you on going green. It is very hard to do. I love your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Good for you guys! I can't wait to see what other changes you make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that pasta looks good!!! very inspiring. We actually just started getting really serious about recycling and makeing more homemade, etc. I'm looking forward to reading about your journey as you keep going with this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's so cool!
    happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it sounds really good, but did you know that margerine is better for health than butter? It´s because of the difference of fat. butter is from the animal, margerine is from the plants. Oil of plants are imortant tp chop up the vitamins.
    (i hope chop up is tje correct vocabulary..).
    Here it is really warm. Right now + 8° C att 7:00 a.m.
    too waarm for this season

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've gone more green in our house as well...the amount of garbage one cuts down on by recycling is really astounding...Eating processed foods is so convenient but not convenient on one's body considering all the transfats and chemicals that are in that stuff. We've been cooking better here too no matter how busy we are. Good on ya...it's always good to save our environment for our future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am impressed with how green you are...dude I don't know if I could get rid of the microwave but do love fresh popped popcorn. I do have a pasta maker but don't use it anymore.....just a big fat dowel bought at the hardware store so next time I expect to see your homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am impressed with how green you are...dude I don't know if I could get rid of the microwave but do love fresh popped popcorn. I do have a pasta maker but don't use it anymore.....just a big fat dowel bought at the hardware store so next time I expect to see your homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jessi
    yummy that sounds so good!
    WIll you share your recipe for the homemade alfredo sauce and the cannelloni?
    We just heard too that microwave pop altho so tasty is very toxic! so we have gone back to the old fashioned pot method of popping corn again too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome! We have been switching to green the last few years too. I really wish we were close enough to things to walk though, that would even save a lot of time for me. We are still working on other things though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you guys! We just moved quite a ways out of town onto some land...away from the convenience of a lot of things. We limit the driving, mostly due to cost so we too have made a lot of changes similar to you. I too will be gardening this year (I've never done it before) and plan canning and freezing our produce. I'm also back to all the homemade baking/cooking and away from the packaged/processed stuff. Stuff just tastes so much better!! Looking forward to hearing of the other changes you will be making.
    (oh...and I'm of the belief that butter is better for you than margarine)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck going green Jessi! And Alfredo from scratch is ridiculously easy! One of my favorites and I won't go back now. And try adding a touch of tomato paste for an awesome rosee sauce! Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's awesome, Jessi!!! We already do a lot of recycling although I think we could maybe do more. I would like to get into composting as well; it may help out with my "black thumb". Our county gives out a special rate on composters for first time users....should try and get in on that this year :) George the garburator would get used a lot less then!!! I would like to try and do more homemade stuff as well. I'm thinking of doing more canning this year.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot believe you are walking everywhere in that COLD weather!! It is not even possible to walk where we live! :( We recycle and it us unbelievable how much less trash we have! I am planning on having a garden again this year, so we can keep each other going!! :) Your dinner sounds and looks delicious! Can't wait to hear your other green secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I TOTALLY support and commend your decision to go green! I'm kind of an environmental person (majored in Biology) so I think it's super important to take care of our wonderful planet! I myself am possibly thinking about a hybrid? Would also be nice to save on crazy gas prices! Anyway great thinking, food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. good for you guys in going greener! i've been thinking about making some changes too, thanks for sharing your experience it's giving me a little boost.
    Isabelle aka Sabel

    ReplyDelete
  18. good for you guys in going greener! i've been thinking about making some changes too, thanks for sharing your experience it's giving me a little boost.
    Isabelle aka Sabel

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is great ! More people should do it, i have been taking little steps to try and do my part too, ive been buying the all natural cleaners and looking into all that. I commend you too !

    ReplyDelete